Since the beginning of September the question "can you make pierogis" have been entered my earholes quite regularly
To be done and over with it I caved, and here we are, making pierogis
Sweat and tears, tell yah, but much worth it in the end ;)
Sweat and tears, tell yah, but much worth it in the end ;)
(for a family of 8, with some to spare)
For the filling:
2 kilos of diced potatoes
400 grams of grated cheese
Cook the potatoes, drain, but keep just over 2 cups of the water
Cook the potatoes, drain, but keep just over 2 cups of the water
Mash the potatoes and cheese, leave to cool.
Leave the water to cool.
For the dough
8 cups of flour (or 900 ml for the Dutchies :p )
2 eggs
1 teaspoon of salt
2 cups of the cooled off potato water
In a kitchen machine (I use the mixer with dough hook) add flour, eggs, salt
start the machine, slowly add the water until a ball of dough forms
First roll out the dough, this is about 1/5 of the recipe
Use a glass (or cup/cutter) to cut out a circle
I used a wide cup to make bigger pierogis
(saves time :) )
Fill the pierogi with the mashed potato and cheese mixture
Fold and squeeze the sides tightly together
Boil them for about 8 minutes, they will start floating once done.
I did find however, some floated rather early,
I left them for the 8 minutes anyway, to make sure they were cooked properly.
We have some left overs to freeze, and yes, I did tell the kids not to bug me for pierogis until after the next summer holiday, I know it looks like it's a breeze, but it was rather time consuming ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment